8/24/18

Self Portraits Challenge: The Troxler Effect

If you do not know what the troxler effect is- please read this description before looking at my self portraits. 



A couple weeks ago I was on instagram... (@ me bro: www.instagram.com/alexmaria2468/), And I came across a post talking about the Troxler Effect

Wikipedia describes Troxler's Fading: "When one fixates on a particular point for even a short period of time, an unchanging stimulus away from the fixation point will fade away and disappear." 

Now apparently, this effect can occur when staring at human faces- or ones own face in a mirror! 

According to what I read on Psychology Today, a researcher named Dr. Caputo conducted a study where participants were asked to stare at their dimly lit reflections for 10 minutes, and almost half of them experienced the Troxler effect to the point where they "Saw fantastical and monstrous beings" in place of their own reflections! 


So I tried it out myself! And wow! What a cool (but creepy experience). I found you have to kind of fixate on one particular feature, because if your gaze roves across your face, everything stays pretty much unchanged. But I was able to experience some very severe distortions.

They were simultaneously unsettling and fascinating- to the point where I've been staring at the "troxler-monster-me" in the mirror just about every night, usually for a lot longer than ten minutes. 

I drew some self portraits- the first one is a pretty good representation of how I look at first glance. But as you scroll down you will see a progression of my troxler distortions, as they appear to me....

Now, I was kinda hesitatnt  to post these at all... Because I felt like they might be sorta... too revealing. I mean they don't fully understand why the troxler effect happens with faces... 

And I'm not sure whether science can rule this out- but when I'm looking into my own distorted eyes it almost looks like I'm staring at some of the suppressed parts of the real me- parts of my personality that are usually kept well hidden. 

I know that sounds ridiculous- but that's how it feels- like these portraits are little snapshots of parts of my personality which might normally be a little bit disguised in proper daylight. 

Anyway, the cats out of the bag... So here's to unwithheld honesty- take a look at the monster in my mirror:
/ \
\ /
(o ^ o)
) ll (
{vvv}
l l
\^^^/
V
First my regular portrait:

A rough sketch of my self portrait. Little bit of mustache I've been working on.
That's me! Alex Maria, as his family and friends know him.

Next, some minor distortions. My face becomes a bit longer and my eyes a little deep-socketed. Almost skeletal. But it looks like me if I were on my deathbed or something.

Another sketch of my self portrait, this time with minor troxler distortions, my face looks a little longer, and more gaunt. A bit skeletal
That's also me! Alex Maria, with minor Troxler Distortions
Next one up is me with major Troxler Distortions. If I stare at the mirror long enough there's a deeper change and it's quite a leap, beginning to look less like a sickly version of me and more like some kind of vampiric monster. 

Another sketch, with major troxler distortions. My eyes are sunken and my teeth are huge and sharp
And me again! Alex Maria with Major Troxler Distortions
The last one coming up is certainly the weirdest... My face kinda collapses if I stare at the mirror long enough- my eyes are like caverns and my teeth are like insect mandibles. It's like a cross between a skull and an grasshopper's head.


This one looks almost like a cross between a bugs head and a skull its really weird
And me one final time- with Severe Troxler Distortions. 
So... I hope you don't think less of me if you see me like this- in such compromising positions.

And-

I think it might be fun to issue a challenge- to anybody who reads this, but especially the scientists and artists!

Part one of the challenge: Go to a dimly lit room and stare into the mirror. Fixate on one part of your face and stare upwards of ten minutes. You might see the "real" you...

Part two of the challenge: draw some portraits and share them! You can link them in the comments here and I'll take a look, or you can #troxlerportraitchallenge on instagram and I might come across it. 

I'd love to see what other people think and draw! I have a real fascination with this stuff.

PS- here's my other art pieces!



15 comments:

  1. What an ugly collection of portraits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the FUCK DUDE!!! How come you don't you do the challeng, huh?... Something tells me you are afraid you won't like what you see. At least you'll have an easy time doing the drawing though- it's not hard to draw a massive turd!

      Delete
    2. LOL- If I were to do your stupid challenge, I would certainly be the only one. Nobody is interested in your idiotic game.

      Delete
    3. If you talk shit why are you talking as an Anonymous?, you're scared aren't you fucking pussy.. , bro your portraits are great don't listen to this trolling faggot, keep it up!

      Delete
  2. It seems like a fun experiment to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lord Zaboem- It was fun, and unsettling at the same time! Thanks for reading! If you give it a shot let me know how it goes- I'd also love to see your portrait if you are willing to share!

      Delete
  3. its scary i dont want to try can you force me to somehow please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't force you lol. But I think you should do it.

      1. It's october, what better time of year to try something a bit scar?
      2. You know for a fact it can't possibly hurt you. It's 100% contained in your mind.
      3. If you don't do it, you'll never know how yours look.
      4. It's fun.

      Delete
  4. I saw a video about this and ended up here after wanting a further explanation. I didn’t do any drawings, but I did test it out for myself. I noticed the changes very quickly, maybe 45 seconds in to staring into my own eyes. Very unnerving experiment. 10/10 would try again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you gave it a test run. It's a fascinating part of psychology!

      Delete
  5. also make funny faces when you do it. you get some interesting results. will be posting some picture of myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a great idea! I hope your troxler pics turn out!

      Delete
  6. Hello thank you for posting i enjoyed reading it i wasn't able too try it on myself since i'm reading this at 2am. i looked up a picture of a face and after 20 seconds of staring his mouthe and eyes dissapered. thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel...